Kidding. That did happen, but this is definitely no game, and it's caused a bit of profuse sweating... I put on a black shirt this morning (good choice), road my bike to Old Town Takoma Park and started wandering into local businesses, telling store owners and managers about my trip and the cause, asking if they'd like to donate items or gift certificates to my fundraising efforts. Everyone was really supportive of the idea, most were interested in participating in some way, and a few were really enthusiastic (so I don't know why I was so ridiculously anxious). I walked away with some good-sized gift certificates, some lovely and unique items, and many requests to follow up later in the week so they can think about how/what they'd like to give.
Feeling pretty confident, I wandered up to Silver Spring (a more corporate area), and tried out a few bigger companies. All the folks were nice, but most just referred me to the websites or to some upper management contact, with one absolutely fantastic and heart-warming exception: Ben & Jerry's.

I've been in love with Ben & Jerry's ever since I got my first cow t-shirt at their store in Middlebury, VT. Good. Solid. Tasty. Ice Cream. Mmmmmmmm.
To continue with the actual story - I walked in, spoke with the manager who immediately went to the back and returned with $50 worth of B&J gift certificates. I did a little "Thank you" jig and walked out. Pretty simple. So I've got some great prizes (and a few more to come!), so you'd best be figuring out how you're going to make it to these events I've got in the works. :)Oh! And last night my housemate and I went to Toledo Lounge here in DC on 18th to chat with a fabulously likable bartender about hosting a fundraiser there. If you live in DC and haven't been there before you should definitely stop by. It's cozy, the people are way cool, and they have specials on grilled cheese, I think. I mean, seriously. That's pretty classy stuff.
I've been really touched by how excited people are about this cause, and how eager they are to make a contribution. A friend of a friend is designing ADORABLE t-shirts, another friend is possibly designing a 2nd/3rd t-shirt, an old friend of our house has designed fantastic brochures that totally blew me away, another kid, and gifted musician, has offered to play a benefit show, and I've heard from many volunteering any assistance they can offer. One kid even offered to dig driveways. Probably won't be necessary, but, MAN, is it amazing to see people go out of their way to support an important cause and help a friend make something they've been dreaming of for a long time actually happen, or what?!
I've got a lot of love right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment