Thursday, June 9, 2011

sad news...

I'm sorry to share some very sad news this week... A Bike & Builder was killed while riding through Alabama two days ago - her second time across the country.  http://www.xtinag.com/post/6323263618/june-6 

While it seems surprising that it hasn't happened more often...it's even more shocking when it actually does...  Jeremy's entry ends with "Be happy, because she was happy!"  It doesn't fix it, but it helps.

I hope that as you're reading this you are doing what you love...  And I hope that very soon I will be able to do what I love near the people I love most.  Things like this accident make me wonder why I'm so far away, as much as I adore the people here on the farm.   

... Not sure how to transition, but just to update you a bit - things are growing!!  Swiss chardbroccolilettuceradishescarrotspotatoeskohlrabistrawberriesrhubarbasparaguskaleartichokestomatoessquash, cucumberseggplantsleeksonionsscallionsmelonssweetcornpopcornfieldcorncabbageturnipspeasbeanscelery....and more. :P  I have seen/collected/squashed/fedtochickens my first cucumber and potato beetles, learned to drive another tractor and the rototiller, set up the drip line irrigation system, and the proper use of a hoe.  I have decided that my feelings on tractors are much like those towards algebra: when I get it, I like it. If it starts to get complicated, or not going smoothly, I think it's stupid.  Our CSA deliveries begin next week...so tomorrow will be almost entirely focused on cultivating as much as possible before we shift into primarily harvest mode for the next few months. I can't believe it's already June...and I'm starting to see how overwhelming this is...each crop just does what it wants at its own pace...and it doesn't care when your first delivery is or whether you have ten other things on your list...they're ready when they're ready. The reverse is true, too...Rar!  It's been good though. Still loving it.

Also, just want to share that we've seen a lot of cool wildlife around... frogs and toads, all sorts of crazy insects and butterflies, snakes, a bear broke into the beehives...raccoons, too! and a turtle crawled across the field while I was driving the Kubota yesterday...there are groundhogs in a few spots, sandhill cranes, a blue heron, blad eagles, bats, owls, and just today a doe ran across the field with a little fawn following her.  Farmers C&P have birdfeeders by their house and we see hummingbirds, boston orioles, goldfinches, chickadees, and a bunch of other ones I don't know the names of... And yesterday afternoon there was a baby robin perched on the windowsill outside the kitchen looking somewhat bewildered. 

The problem with only writing once a month is that so much has happened that I don't even know where to start... and when I do, I just ramble...

This is me and Olive. :) 

Paul teaching us about the cultivating tractors...
 Nailing on the roof of the "casita"...to hold all the tools.  FarmerP says I can paint it. :)

Not all that interesting, but that's all I can do for now. Much love.

No comments: