Thursday, February 17, 2011

lunchtime "history" lesson. grumble grumble.

I was not in a good mood today...even though I spent most of the day daydreaming and listening to my ipod while scrubbing things with bleach water (I can't help but love that smell...sigh...). They've hired a new lady who has a bit of a chatter problem. At lunch today she was telling us about how DC is full of poor black people because after the emancipation proclamation a bunch of freed slaves went up there...and soon after all the motivated ones with skills went off to other places to do stuff...implying that all the unskilled, unmotivated ones stayed in the District. And that's why DC is full of poor black people. I'm paraphrasing.

?!?!?!?!?!??!!

My head almost exploded. I was in shock because I had no idea where the topic had come from...or where in the WORLD she'd heard this ridiculous story. There are so many things wrong with that totally absurd interpretation of a totally twisted, messed up, mythical "history". Good lord. I went on to write a long ranting blog post, which the wise Universe quickly had me mistakenly delete by having me hit the space bar after I'd highlighted all of it to copy into Word to ponder more before posting. Whew. It was full of run-on sentences about the tension between loving and hating people and the world...and how I will likely run off to found a little hermitage somewhere in northern Minnesota, or perhaps Canada, but not for political reasons: just for the remoteness.

Anyways. I vented for a while, talked to my dad and sister...had a nice big glass of chocolate milk...which calmed me down just in time to enjoy the sunset while listening to chorus of hay-munching by my goat family.












I also discovered that Rosie (my name for one of the pigs they're about to callously slaughter for bacon...sigh) has lovely eyelashes. I hadn't noticed until today. I think she's an exceptionally pretty pig...always looks like she's blushing, and always much more calm than her sister.


Also, while prepping to feed this evening, Charlie, a little yearling buck, was trying to mate with one of the mamas again. But this time the mama just laid down on the ground so he couldn't get to her. He was baffled and all he could do was dance around her. I swear I saw her roll her eyes. Sometimes I hate biology and just want to roundhouse all the bucks in the forehead. Seriously.


...breathing........sunsets....



Tomorrow I get to experiment with blending flavored cream cheeses. Kind of excited about this - mostly for the sampling component. :) I'm bringing crackers.

Love to you all,
~me.

No comments: